Meet the newest member of our family here!

Friday, August 8, 2008

On road trips

I love a good road trip! Last weekend I went up to Jackson, WY to go rafting with some friends. Because I was going home by way of Idaho Falls for Mari's blessing I ended up driving alone. I love that drive. There are so many memories along that road. I passed the spot where I watched a beautiful sunset last year (and ignored a call from my dad that resulted in a month of me being stubborn). I remember that patch of trees and sheep crossing the road over there and what Lyndi and I were talking about as we passed through Afton. I started counting and figure I've made at least 15 trips along that route in the last 10 years. No wonder it feels so good! Like an old friend. It's not the destination so much as the trip that feels like a friend.

Road trip conversations are the best. There's no rush. The conversation is free to wander as it will. I have some really great memories of road trip conversations--some of them are even with other people! Cute and quirky towns, gas station finds, strange bits of history, and good good memories. They're long and sometimes tedious and tiresome and increasingly expensive, but I still love a good road trip!

6 comments:

Jeanette said...

So, speaking of road trips, when are you making the one that will result in your stay here in Cali? There is a baby blessing on the 7th of September for Matt's 5th baby...are you going to be in town by then?

Dave and Loralee said...

Hey Becca,

How did I not know you had a Blog? Another way to stalk each other's lives right?

I don't know if this is your thing or not but I'm setting up a family fantasy football league. Hopefully it will be a way the cousins can all stay in touch. So if you or Ben want in just send me your email addresses at DBL10@CASE.EDU and I'll invite you into the league.

Cherine said...

Hey Becca how are ya? I too LOVE road trips (without young kiddos)!!!

Mike and Shannon said...

I just found your blog on Jeanette's site! It's so great to hear about your adventures and insights. Good luck with your move and starting school, how exciting!

Dave and Loralee said...

that was dave posting before, now it's my turn. so, moving? WHAT? And I'm so jealous that you got to be with Mari-is she just so sweet? I love reading your blog. :)

LyndiLou said...

Ohhh ROAD TRIPS!!! :) I love road trips... I really think I will always prefer them to flying... for some of the same reasons you mentioned!!! I would LOVE to go on another with you someday!!! We could talk about your first ticket, meowing and windows, boy and church and family... and many many other great memories!!! I love you!!!