Meet the newest member of our family here!

Saturday, September 6, 2008

On leaving work

Last Friday was my last day of work at Partnet. As was to be expected, it took a while for me to transition into my job there and to figure out the company culture and how I fit into it. The fact that my position was brand new didn't help smooth the transition. I gradually got to a comfortable spot and enjoyed my time there.

I knew I had some friends at work but had no idea how much people liked me until I left. My last week at work was filled with well-wishers and compliments. My co-workers even planned a surprise lunch with a fantastic turnout. I had no idea I was so well liked. It's kind of sad that it took my leaving for me to realize that I had become part of the Partnet family.

This experience got me thinking. I wondered how much happier and even more fun my time there would have been if I had known how much people liked me. I wonder why we do that to each other, why we hold back the nice things that could brighten another's day. I feel a new resolve to vocalize my thoughts and feelings, to lift someone else with a smile or a hug or a kind word.

6 comments:

Caprene said...

Oh Becca Bean - How could you ever doubt that everyone loves you??? Silly girl. Oh, well, I'm sure there are girls who will be jealous of your amazingness - but deep down, even they love you, they just have a hard time admitting it

Jeanette said...

You are so right. A few years back, I decided to let my guard down. I was tired of keeping things inside. The other day I was on an elevator and this woman had a really pretty necklace on; I told her that I thought it was pretty. A huge smile came over her face. Jason says I do stuff like that all the time...talk to random people giving compliments. I think talking with others, expressing our feelings is part of the human experience.

Blake said...

Aw Becks, in all the time I've known you I don't think you've ever held back a kind word for me. You're absolutely amazing and you've made me feel so loved, and warm, and good. You do lift up the people around you (all the time) & it's one of the many amazing things I adore about you.

Quoth the Josh Groban:
There is no life - no life without its hunger;
Each restless heart beats so imperfectly;
But when you come and I am filled with wonder,
Sometimes, I think I glimpse eternity.

You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains;
You raise me up, to walk on stormy seas;
I am strong, when I am on your shoulders;
You raise me up... To more than I can be.


...yeah, yeah I just quoted the Groban... yeah, you're welcome ;P

Unknown said...

I feel that way about compliments - I try to compliment someone whenever I feel like there is something to compliment, whether it's their purse, shoes, attitude, or whatever. Why not spread some cheer, you know?

David said...

Yet another reason why I <3 you!

LyndiLou said...

What good advice... we should tell people how much we love them more often. :)