Meet the newest member of our family here!

Friday, May 29, 2009

On compatability (and Cowabunga Bay)

I believe that any two people can learn to get along. They can find things to appreciate about one another, adapt, and learn to become compatible. I recognize that this process can be relatively easy or extremely difficult depending on the individuals involved. There is some wisdom and truth in the idea that opposites attract. For any good relationship to form, there also need to be areas of shared interest or concern--some common ground. Frienships form easily when this common ground is easy to find, and sometimes we really have to work at finding it. This week I found two awesome areas of common ground between Blake and I.

1. Ambition. We got into a discussion of our ambitions, especially how those relate to our professional goals. I realized that Blake and I are both quite ambitious people and this is one of the reasons we are great for each other. I totally get why he's dissatisfied with his job. I understand his desire to want to be in a more challenging environment and encourage him to make the changes he wants. He gets why I want to go back to school and is completely supportive of that even though it requires us to make big changes and sacrifices. Ambition is one of the reasons we're great for each other.

2. Childlike Wonderment. We love being kids. We play games and go to the park to feed the ducks and play on the swings. We like kid movies. (I think Blake likes them a little more than I do.) We just play for the sake of playing, and I love it. It's so fun for me to be with someone who appreciates my funny faces and who laughs and plays along when I go on a whimsical tangent.

This love of childhood things is fueling our excitement about the opening of Cowabunga Bay in two weeks. It's a new, totally awesome, waterpark opening in Draper on June 12th. We'll be going on Saturday June 13th, if anyone would like to join us. This is partly in celebration of my last day of work that Friday but also because we really want to go before I move. I even joined the Cowabunga Bay Surfari Club in hopes that they'll send me some kind of awesome opening weekend discount. I haven't been to a waterpark since I was probably 14 years old, and I'm really looking forward to the silliness. It's going to be kid-tastic. See you there!

3 comments:

Blake said...

I'll be there with trunks on!
Also, I love you so much!!

Becca said...

It's a good thing you'll have your trunks, because you other swimsuit is prohibited in Cowabunga Bay's swimwear dress code.

LyndiLou said...

You and Blake sooo great for each other... I just love it!!! And I love that I just found your blog... where have I been??? Off to read your other posts!!! LOVE you!!! Have sooo much fun at Cowabunga Bay!!!