Disclaimer: this post might not be pleasing to all readers.
I'm taking Advanced Child and Adolescent Development class this quarter. It's pretty awesome, and that's something I don't say about every class. Aside from attendance and keeping up on the reading, the only assignment for the class is to create a portable play therapy kit. I'm having SO much fun buying toys and thinking of activities. I went to the Mattel outlet yesterday and am now the proud owner of a set of matchbox cars and polly pockets in addition to some other really fun things. Blake was so cute helping me unpackage the Polly Pockets last night. I think we're going to be getting the play therapy kit out for us at home. :D
A positive side effect of this is that now I feel like I could actually invite friends and family with kids over to our house. I have been hesitant to do that since we've moved here because we don't have a kid-friendly house. Now we have toys! Yay! The only kids that have been to our house so far are our adorable nieces, and I am very ok with that. I love my nieces (and nephew) and would love it if they were the kids who spent more time at my house than any other kids.
Back to class. Last Thursday we were talking about books to help kids. Our teacher was displaying books about puberty and maturation. She showed one book that was geared more toward kids than parents, with lots of pictures and blurbs. The pages were designed to look like a scrapbook or bulletin board with lots of bright colors. She opened to one page that had a drawing that looked like it was done on notebook paper. The class just stared at the drawing until the teacher said "It's a cartoon penis." Then there were some laughs and at least one "Oh!" I had the best laugh I've had in class in a long time. I was just delighted by the fact that she had to explain what it was, or that she felt she had to. What was even better, was that it had a smiley face and little arms on it. If I were a naive 13-year old girl, those arms would freak me out.
Our class representatives were asking for ideas about a class mascot and motto. I probably don't have to tell you what my suggestion was. The other Latter-day Saint student and I thought this was completely hilarious. There were a few of our classmates who were not quite so amused. Apparently Latter-day Saints (at least the two of us) are NOT the most conservative people out there.
"It's a cartoon penis!" Comedy gold.
1 comment:
Ha! I'm glad you are blogging again. I love to read The Becca's Thoughts. Also, Those fish freak me out. I have to obsessively feed them everytime I come to your blog. It's like you starve them.
Post a Comment