Meet the newest member of our family here!

Sunday, July 24, 2011

On the parental third person

I used to think it was so weird that parents refer to themselves in the third person.  "Hold on. Mommy's coming."  "It's okay.  Daddy's right here."  At one point in time I thought to myself, "That's just weird.  I'm not going to to that when I have kids.  I'll just say 'me' and 'mine' and 'I' like a normal person."

Our baby wasn't three days old before Blake and I were referring to ourselves and 'Mommy' and 'Daddy.'  I do that all the time now.  Is there some kind of chemical change that happens, some switch that gets flipped in our brains that makes us do that?  I still think it's weird.

We haven't started calling each other 'Mom' and 'Dad' . . . yet.  I don't think we ever will, because that's just a whole new level of weird.  But then again, who knows?  I thought I'd be able to escape the parental third person, and I was dead wrong on that one.

'Who's your daddy?'

3 comments:

Kim and Layne said...

If you want your kids to refer to YOU as Mommy, then, YOU have to refer to you as Mommy. How else would they learn to call you Mommy??

Jeanette said...

It's actually a good thing. Kids need to know what to call you and they don't understand pronouns until much later. No weirdness. Just good language teaching skills. And you just wait....you will totally call Blake daddy. Heehee...

Heather and Ben said...

Becca, your posts always make me laugh!! I'm right there with ya on this one. It's almost unavoidable. But I agree, I refuse to take it to the next level and start calling Ben "Dad." That's just taking it too far!!