Meet the newest member of our family here!

Thursday, October 2, 2008

On getting engaged


Let me start out this post by saying that one of the things I love about Blake is how energetic he is and how excited he gets. After he paid for my ring and after he called to schedule a sealing room at the temple I got very excited phone calls from him. "Becca! Guess what I just did!?" It's very endearing.

We had looked at rings together because Blake wanted to get an idea of what I like before he bought one (totally understandable). The ring was being made by a friend of a friend, and Blake told me it wouldn't be done for two weeks (I think it really took about 4 days). He was so disappointed that he wouldn't have it before he came down to visit me. A friend of mine said that he was going to try to surprise me with it when he came down because he made a point of telling me when the ring would be done. I dismissed her idea because I didn't think he'd be able to keep a secret like that; I thought he'd be too excited. Well, I was half right. He couldn't keep it a secret from anyone except me! My mom knew and his parents knew and they had all seen the ring. Blake's brothers both knew and so did his roommate. I was clueless.


Last weekend Blake came to California to visit me. I was SO excited to see him. We spent a day at Disneyland. Apparently he had the ring in his pocket all day long; he asked me later if I had noticed him checking periodically to make sure it was still there. I hadn't. When the day was just about done--it was 11:30--Blake and I went over to the Snow White wishing well to keep up with his tradition of visiting it every time he comes to Disneyland. We threw in some coins and a couple showed up and started taking pictures. Blake offered to take their picture to try to shew them away. They offered to take our picture in return. Notice Blake's face in the picture. He's kind of anxious for them to go away. It's cute. Those people went away and another group came through. I was kind of wondering why Blake was waiting for us to be alone before throwing in his coins.

We were at the well tossing in our coins. I started to suspect something when Blake looked over his shoulder nervously before throwing in the last coin. He made his wish, and I grabbed his hand and started to walk away. He said, "Wait. I have one more wish" and started fishing in his pocket and got down on one knee. I don't think I said anything, just made some noises: "Oh. Oh!" He was so nervous he almost put the ring on the wrong hand. He asked me if I would marry him. I guess I said yes; I don't really remember. But I do remember that he stood up and we hugged and kissed and laughed and it was great!

I'm happy. It's still pretty surreal though. Every once in a while I'll have a little reality check and think "Wow! I'm engaged. I'm getting married. This is for real. Unreal!" Blake is perfect for me. I'm so happy I know him. :D

9 comments:

Jeanette said...

Sooooo cute! I give him props for doing it at Disneyland. It has a lot of memories for both of you separately, and now a very special memory together. Way to go on catching a cute guy! Can't wait to meet him!

Seth and Mariah said...

YEAH for Blake for making the move!! That is really cute how he did it and I am so happy for you both. Now we just need a picture of the ring. I love to see you so happy!! Congrats again!

Caprene said...

YEAH! So I'm sitting with my grandparents right now and I read your blog to them. My grandma thinks that is a cute way to propose. Papa is all "bamboozled" - his words exactly.
Thanks for sharing the story!

Dave and Loralee said...

YAY!! I can totally sense his nervousness as he's waiting for all the people to go away from the well :) I'm so so so happy for you! Hopefully we'll see you (and meet him) at Thanksgiving??

Audrey Cornelius said...

What a great way to propose! He sounds like an amazing man and I am so glad you have found each other! Happy wedding planning!

Krissie said...

Oh my goodness, I'm soooo happy for you! I love the pictures too, you guys are so cute together! Congratulations!

Miss Madeline Reber said...

AH!!! Becca! I'm soooo excited for you! He sounds incredible, and you deserve incredible 100%!!! What a cute engagement story. :D Love ya--and Congrats!!!

Unknown said...

Congrats! I'm so excited for you!

Was he nervous and sort of awkward the whole day? Lincoln was when he proposed.

LyndiLou said...

Sooo, I didn't even know there was a wishing well at Disney Land until you told me about this! I love it... sooo sooo great!