Meet the newest member of our family here!

Monday, December 1, 2008

On Grandma Jean

Today is my Grandma Jean's birthday. She would have been 86. For most of my life my family lived with my grandma. I knew her well; she was more than just a grandma to me. In many ways, she was the parent I needed her to be. When I was younger I remember her cooking for me, teaching me crafty things, driving me around, and talking when I needed. As I got older, I cooked for her, drove her around, and tried to make time to talk, although I know I didn't do those things as often as I should have. I certainly didn't appreciate all she did for me until it was too late to say thank you. A lot of what I learned about being consistent in doing the right things and being faithful in living according to our beliefs I learned from watching my grandma. I loved her.

This picture is from the first time I went to the temple. It's one of the last things I did with Grandma Jean. By the time I went to the MTC 2 months later she was in the hospital. I don't think she ever went home. She passed away while I was on my mission, in my first area.


I love my grandma and the good person she was. I am proud to have her name. (My name is Rebecca Jean, for anyone who didn't know.) One of the quirky things I remember about Grandma Jean is that she liked toast and peanut butter. When we were trying to decide what to have for dinner Grandma would frequently say "Oh, I'll just have some toast and peanut butter." On December 1st I eat toast and peanut butter in honor of Grandma Jean. Happy Birthday Grandma!

4 comments:

Caprene said...

Mmmn, I ate grilled cheese and applesauce in her memory. I hope my memory was correct in thinking that's something she enjoyed as well.

shelley said...

Love post, Becca. I wish I could have met her.

Becca said...

Caprene, I think grilled cheese and applesauce is also a great memorial as would be a trip to Chuck-A-Rama. If you go to Chuck-A-Rama (or any restaurant for that matter) you'd have to wrap a piece of cornbread in a napkin and take it home in your purse for it to be a complete Grandma Jean tribute. Ben and I still laugh about that almost every time we go out to eat together.

Jeanette said...

Oh, what a fabulous grandma we had! I still eat toast with peanut butter with orange juice and think of her. When Sam eats it I talk to her about grandma!!!