I picked up this book, The Unexpected Legacy of Divorce: A 25 year landmark study, from the bargain bin at the BYU bookstore several months back. First off, I love bookstores. Secondly, I always check the bargain bins/shelves. Third, I am pretty serious about wanting to be a good therapist, so I buy and read books about families and therapy in addition to my textbooks. (I'm only going to school part-time right now, so this is a possibility for me.)
Self-righteous side note: I have been surprised by some of the students in my class this semester who seem so blase about the readings and course work. It's one thing to blow off reading for your freshman biology course and a completely different thing to blow off reading for a graduate course in family therapy. I really admire one of my classmates at Loma Linda who was so serious about completing all the readings. She said she felt that the had a moral obligation to do so, that not getting as much information as possible about how to help people could hurt them. She feels she owes it to her clients to be the best therapist she can be. I agree. And I read books and get extra training because I genuinely find it interesting. End side note.
The author of The Unexpected Legacy of Divorce has been studying divorce and its effects on children for most of her career. There's even a center in California named for her. Anyway, she'd been working on this longitudinal study of children from divorced parents and is reporting her findings in this book. What is particularly interesting is that at 25 years, the participants in her study are now adults with families of their own. There hasn't been much research about how divorce continues to effect individuals at adults. The previous studies all stopped at adolescence or the early 20s.
I bought the book as a professional development kind of thing but am finding it hitting some very personal issues for me. Let me give just one example. The story is told of a woman named Karen who lives a great, happy life but experiences a constant dread that something bad will happen. She's waiting for the bottom to drop out and can't allow herself to just sit back and fully enjoy her happiness. I completely identify. The author went on to say that she found this to be a very common feeling among adults whose parents divorced when they were children. I had no idea. I thought it was just me, that I was neurotic and unhealthy in this aspect. I was reading this book just before bed, and I laid awake in the dark crying for some time. It was such a relief to know that I wasn't alone and that this wasn't something "wrong" with me.
The reason for writing this post is mostly just to share that. It was such a powerful moment, and I felt like sharing. If anyone is interested, I highly recommend picking up a copy of this book and reading it. In the introduction the author states that she wrote the book for several audiences: children of divorce, their spouses/significant others, couples considering divorce, mental health professionals, and policy makers who influence how children are treated in divorce proceedings. Even though the book is based on research findings, it doesn't read like an academic journal or textbook. She presents her findings through case studies, the stories of individual people who represent common themes among the different types of families. One of the most powerful things to me is how she compares these children of divorce to their peers from intact families. The comparisons aren't always depressing but sometimes very dramatic. If you're interested, it's a good read. It was the only copy in the bargain bin and the best $1.99 I've spent on a book in a long time.
4 comments:
Thanks for sharing! I miss hearing you talk like this, from back in the old days together.
Muah. *HUGS*
Hi! I don't know you. I was on my friend Caprine's blog when the title of this post caught my eye. I feel the same way. I need to read that book! My 6 year marriage has been great and is completely different from my parents failed one but the idea of divorce just seems hardwired into my brain. I just keep thinking "when will the bottom drop out" even though I don't have ANY reason to think it will. Seriously, none at all. I am glad to know that my fear isn't "just me." It almost makes it less of a fear! Here is to time and all eternity and thanks for your post!
This book sounds really interesting. I'm sure it would be helpful for me too!!! What a bargain!!!
I remember being in school and feeling like I just had to do the minimum to get through the class with a good grade... but as you get older and the farthur you go with schooling, it seem like it would make sense that you would dig in a little deeper. Good for you for wanting to learn, and be such a helpful resource for the people you will help someday!
I am going to have to check that book out. Thanks for the tip. I too, as you might have already guessed, can identify with the feeling of "impending ..." I don't even have a word to describe it. :( Does this book include a discussion, implications, & recommendations?
It's kind of funny, I've been thinking about the effects of divorce on children recently (one of my student's is going through one). He is taking it pretty hard, as you might imagine, but then another of my students is going to a similar experience and he seems no different. Still cheerful, still hopeful, still positive... I wonder how he does it.
Post a Comment