Meet the newest member of our family here!

Friday, May 22, 2009

On ugly babies

I hesitate to bring up this sensitive subject, but it weighs on my mind. I am seriously worried that when we start having kids that we might end up with an ugly baby. Come on now, you all know what I'm talking about. There are some kids out there that are less than cute. I've noticed it in a few in photo albums on Facebook, and the mothers seem to believe that their ugly children are the cutest ever. (Don't worry, it's not you. I'm fairly certain the people I'm thinking of don't read or even know about my blog.) The parents of these children aren't beautiful movie stars, but they're not ugly people. And yet, somehow the combination of them makes an ugly baby.

This has me concerned. What if we have ugly kids? Will we know? Do we want to know? What should we do? I know, I know. We'll love them and care for them and try to give them the best, just like the beautiful kids. But at the same time, I think it might be kind of embarrassing to have an ugly kid. I don't want to be that parent, that enters her ugly daughter in a beauty pageant and then can't understand why she didn't win. The fact that this bothers me is an indication of my vanity, I suppose. I hate to admit it, but it's true. I'm vain. I think Blake and I are both nice looking people, and I really want us to have beautiful kids.

What do you think?
This plus this
has to turn out cute. Right?

4 comments:

David said...

You're screwed. :P

I blame him.

Unknown said...

Most babies are ugly when they first come out. They get better.

LyndiLou said...

Ohhh... sooo THIS is why I didn't know about your blog??? WOW.

Heh.

So there IS something to be said about parents.... unconditional love... and the disorted perception of the world and all things (read: babies) in it. BUT... there is also something to be said about the innocence and cuteness of ANY baby thing... person or animal.

Just like no one prefers to be photographed right after a marathon or intense weightlifting session... I'm sure a LOT of babies don't look their very cutest right after they worked sooo hard to get here... especially when we silly grown-ups can complicate things sooo much.

You're a spazz and you will not have ugly babies!!! You and Blake will have cute and squishy babies!!! Baby Chomp was cute when she got here and is just getting cuter.

And who would have thought... when looking at her parents! ;)

Jeanette said...

If you have ugly babies, you will know it. Other people will use words that are not as over-the-top as they should be. Also, you will just have to be skilled at drawing attention to the more attractive areas. Like, what if you have a daughter with great toes, but a horrible nose? Just make sure she is always in flashy-cute baby sandals with painted toes. Nobody will even notice that nose. What about a bad hairline? Just cover it up with a hat. Everyone loves a baby in a hat. Things can be done to make any ugly baby look at least half-way decent. (j/k... by the way...your babies will be adorable, and if they aren't...I'll lie and tell you that they are :) )