Ten years ago I graduated from high school. Well, more accurately, I completed high school and received my diploma, but I didn't go to the graduation. I thought graduation was a boring and pointless ceremony. I remember thinking that graduating from high school wasn't that big of an accomplishment, that it was kind of a given, and therefore not really worth all the celebration. Holy cow! Seriously? Yes, I laugh now at how naive those thoughts were. I was so privileged and didn't even realize it. (I'm talking about social privilege here. You know, race, socioeconomic status.)
I have since had experiences that opened my eyes. I understand that there are many youth and even adults in the world who may never have the opportunity to gain education equivalent to my high school diploma. Then, relative to my peers within this country, I realize my high school experience was above average. I got it without really wanting, working, or sacrificing for it. It was just a given. Everybody graduates from high school, right?
So, I didn't go to my high school graduation ceremony (so, no pics of that one). If I recall correctly, we went to equestrian special olympics instead. Just over three years ago, I graduated from BYU. I went to that graduation.
Somehow, graduating from college seemed like more of an accomplishment to me. It was something I had worked hard for and was proud of. (I got my degree in English and just ended that last sentence in a preposition!) I was also seven years older and somewhat wiser, I'd like to think.
In just over a month, I have another graduation coming up. I'm finishing my masters degree. Now I feel so incredibly privileged and just lucky to have had the opportunity to get this degree. I tear up a little just thinking about it. I know not everyone would want to do what I did if given the chance. But I did want it, and I feel blessed to have been able to achieve this goal.
I present my final case next Friday. It's an oral comprehensive where I defend my clinical work in front of a panel of my professors, they ask me questions based on papers I have submitted and video clips I show. I show them that I am competent as a therapist and they tell me whether I can pass and graduate from the program.
I am going to this graduation. I wouldn't miss it. I might be wearing pajamas under my gown. I might not have time to take a shower or put on makeup that morning, but I'm going. I'll march across that stage with drool and spit up on my robe and maybe collapse in an exhausted heap on the other side, but I'm going. Pictures of that one coming soon . . .
1 comment:
I'm very proud of you! Congratulations on reaching such an amazing goal. I'm in awe of all that you've learned and accomplished. Walk with your head high and imagine me clapping loudly for you in the audience! :D
Post a Comment