Meet the newest member of our family here!

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

On my urban sprawl

I take a break, lift up my head and take off the blinders. I climb to high ground and survey my life. From my perch I look down on the valleys and boroughs, the various domains of my existence. There are so many. I'm spread thin. The domains are intricately interconnected like a freeway system through the urban sprawl. They're maintained in a tenuous balance, for now.

I have a job; it's part time, but it's a job. I love my career. It's tremendously fulfilling. It is truly an honor and privilege to do what I do. I have been thinking about this a lot lately. It's a subject for a post of its own.

At this stage of my career, I don't make much money. Blake's willing to be the full-time parent, but we can't make it financially on my earnings alone, certainly not part-time work and not with student loan payments looming.

I have a child. I love her. I love watching her learn and explore and grow. I love being her mother.

I don't love being a full-time, stay-at-home parent, in fact, I don't even like it. It's lonely, it's thankless, it's boring. Cook, clean, laundry, nap, diaper, repeat. Take out the trash, scrub the tub, read "Blue hat, green hat" over and over because Bonnie loves it.

I don't want to be the full-time, stay-at-home parent, but I'll do it. If I have to, I'll do it. For Bonnie, I'll do it.

I wonder then what all that work and education were for. We're going to by paying for it for the next decade. Why did I do it if I'm not using it? Someone else could have had my spot. Did I selfishly take this with nothing to give back?

I love California. It's expensive to live here.

I don't love Utah. Our families are there.

I'm a Mormon. I attend church because there are things I believe firmly and find deeply meaningful. Sometimes church drives me crazy; there are things about it I can't stand and days I wonder why I still go.

Blake's still looking for full-time work. We're trying to stay positive, but I think we've passed the fun part of unemployment. The Inland Empire hasn't been kind to us in this respect. A job for him will likely necessitate a move, which will mean saying goodbye to my job.

Knowing I may not stay long, it feels weird to be immersing myself in so many aspects of this agency I'm working for. But I may stay long, I don't know. We don't know. Now's not the time to quit; it's the only job we have.

We don't know. We don't know. Something, sometime is going to give. The tense balance we're maintaining now is temporary. It has to be. I don't know what's going to give. I don't know when it will happen. I came here to escape the tension, to use this perspective to find something that can change, now. I still don't know. Right now, there are people that need me. The only thing to do is climb back down, put my head down, and just keep going.

2 comments:

Kim and Layne said...

I love you. I love your honesty too. Congratulations on the new part time job. That's exciting.

Life can definitely get pretty overwhelming sometimes. Staying at home full-time IS a thankless job. Some women prefer it and some don't. You just have to figure out what is best for you and your family.

Also, Sunday is probably the worst day of my week. For some reason, i feel kind of depressed EVERY Sunday. Why? I have no idea...but I struggle with church too--not the testimony part...just going to church with kids and the Mormon "culture" in general. It could also be the looming work week which means I will be home alone with three kids...

Anyway, when we were unemployed everyone ALWAYS said, "Don't worry, it will all work out and you will be fine." I always thought, "Well DUH! But WHEN because it freaking sucks right now." We will keep you in our prayers so that Blake will find a job.

That's all. We love you.

Mariah Nielsen said...

I admire your honesty too! You are dealing with some tough things. We are still waiting and hoping Seth finds full-time employment somewhere. Not knowing what will happen and when/how stinks. Being in limbo is no fun. So I feel for you, I am sorry.

Going from working full-time to being at home with Ari has been very interesting. I have been able to do some work from home and have been thinking lots about life and my choices. There are lots of things I enjoy about work and will miss if I leave it all behind. It would be hard to give it all up just like that, everything I've built up and worked so hard for, just to pack up and call it quits. But I get nervous I will spread myself too thin trying to do both and not be able to be the Mom I need to be... It is hard to know. So I feel for you there too. Sometimes you just don't know. But I will keep you guys in my prayers. Good luck with everything, keep us posted. Love you!