Meet the newest member of our family here!

Thursday, January 5, 2012

On living in the infirmary

The week before Thanksgiving (remember how long ago that was?), we were all sick. We passed around a cold. We were well just long enough for our quick trip to Utah for Thanksgiving. The day after we got home, Blake and I started in on the flu from hell. We just could not get well. It went on for weeks. I'm not a terribly dramatic person when I get sick; I just deal with it and keep going. It was bad enough that several people at work commented on it. "Becca, you need to get better already." "Wow! You still sound sick. You've been sick for a really long time now." Yeah, I know! 

Bonnie was lucky to miss out on that one. Our house devolved into an absolute mess while we were sick. There were baby toys and piles of mail and laundry and dishes on just about every surface. We only just had enough energy to stay awake and watch from the couch as the baby crawled around and pulled things off the shelves. I would go to work, come home, and crash. Just as the flu was starting to ease, we caught another cold and passed it around between the three of us.

Christmas was fine. We were reasonably healthy. About 24 hours after we got home from Christmas, symptoms began for Blake in our most recent round of illness. This one was much grosser than the others. It's of the vomiting and diarrhea variety. Bonnie started the day after Blake. I held out one day longer. Bonnie seemed to get it the worst. Even after the barfing stopped, she wouldn't eat much more than milk until yesterday. Then today it started for her again. I'll spare you the yucky details, but I will say two things. One: baby vomit is just about the saddest thing you will ever watch happen. Two: more than one of us pooped our pants this week.

Unemployment is teaching us to be more appreciative of the comfortable lifestyle we usually (and really still do) enjoy and to be more responsible with our resources. Being sick for so long is teaching us to appreciate our health. We are so grateful we have health care coverage for Bonnie. Caring for a sick little one is it's own gross but also special kind of experience. She is so much more responsive to displays of love and comfort. Anything else we need to learn to appreciate while we're in an appreciating mood?

No comments: