It's the voice. The you're-in-trouble, I'm-deadly-serious whisper voice. Have you heard it? Do other moms do that too? Or just my mom? Turns out, without any practice at all, I have mastered it. The kids in the primary never saw it coming. It works, too!
Episode one:
Last week my handful-boy was in top form. He had been rude to me all throughout the lesson, and I chose to ignore it. My handful-girl was there and was going on and on about something. The boy was tired of listening to her and decided to tell her, rather rudely, to stop talking. Now, I won't stand for that. I won't let them be mean to each other. So, I turned toward him, leaned forward, and said in the firm whisper voice, "I'm the teacher here. I am in charge. I will take care of the other kids. It is not okay for you to talk to her that way." Then I went on with the lesson. He put his head on the table and cried. I didn't say any more about it. He seemed genuinely happy to see me this week. So I guess we're good.
Episode two:
My handful-boy was giving the talk in sharing time this week. He was stumbling over some of the words he was reading; he's six, remember? Well, a few kids in the class behind us, the 7 & 8 year olds, laughed. It happened once, and I did nothing. The second time they giggled at his reading mistake I turned around in my chair, leaned toward them (hmm, maybe the leaning makes a difference), and whispered at them, "It is not nice to laugh at him when he messes up reading. You need to stop it right now." They both looked at me with wide, silent eyes and nodded.
Yup, I'm turning into my mother.
2 comments:
Speaking as a Primary president, I wish more teachers had the guts to let kids know who's boss. Hooray for the scary whisper!
There are days when I'm MUCH louder than I want to be and ever thought I would be with my little ones. I love this idea... I'm going to start whispering instead of raising my voice. I think we'll ALL benefit from it. :D
Post a Comment