We got into an absolutely epic battle of the wills at 4 am a few weeks ago over pulling down her pants so she could pee, tucking her into her bed, wiping her butt, and holding a tissue to blow her nose because it was runny after all the crying and screaming she did to try to get me to pull her pants down. Overall, I like to think we are making progress on this issue.
This is the backdrop for an incident that happened at the Safari Park on Friday. The Bon was playing on the playground, came to see me at the tables, and then hurt herself when she stepped back down into the playground area. I'm not sure exactly how it happened. She pinched or rubbed the back of her knee on the wood and started crying. Immediately another mom springs into action and is asking Bons, "Did you get a splinter? Are you okay? Where's your mom?"
I didn't get up to rescue her because her injury didn't seem life-threatening. I talked to her from where I was sitting. "You got hurt, Bons?" "Yeah." "Are you going to be okay?" "Yeah." Okay then, we're good. It seemed to really bother the other parents that I didn't get up and run to her. The judgement in their voices when they told me that she got hurt was obvious. Then as she walked away, it looked like there was a smear of blood on the back of her leg. A different parent yells over to me now, "She's bleeding! I think she's bleeding!"
I saw it. It looked like blood. If it was blood, it was a little and just smeared. I called to Bons and asked her to walk back over to me so I could check her out. She did. The injury didn't break the skin; she wasn't bleeding. It did break some blood vessels right under the skin in a rug burn kind of way, kind of. We decided to go to the first aid station to get her cleaned up and to check for splinters. She agreed this was a good idea, got in her stroller, and off we went. She's fine.
I don't think I did anything wrong there. I also don't like judgement from others. I try not to be sensitive to it, but I am.
1 comment:
I think every mom struggles with feeling judged or worries that they aren't doing things right. Good for you that you are teaching Bonnie to be so independent. She knows you love her and that is all that matters. I'm sure there were some mom's at the playground that admired how you handled things.
Post a Comment