While I was visiting Utah recently a friend asked me some questions about my religious situation. First, let me say that I appreciated this so much! Since I have been more open about my change in beliefs, there have been a handful of people who have contacted me saying things like "I love you just the same" or "I didn't know you were hurting. You can talk to me." These little things have meant the world to me. Thank you, and thank you.
Second, I thought my friend might not be the only one with these questions, so I'll address them publicly here.
1- I'm still me. I'm not really all that different than I was before. You can still keep in touch with me, joke with me, do whatever we did before.
2- You don't have to censor yourself. I understand Mormonism and still love parts of it and the people. You can tell me about what's happening with your calling, in your ward, or whatever; I won't be offended. That's a part of you and your life. You don't have to hide it from me.
3- I won't be offended by your Mormonness if you won't be offended by my lack of Mormonness. I really can't even imagine where this would be an issue, maybe if my shorts don't go to my knee or something. I support things like gay rights and gender equality, but I try not to be too in-your-face about it. If I cross a line, you can let me know.
4- You can still invite me to things. I'll come to baby blessings or baptisms or to hear you speak in church. You are my people. I love you and support you. Sometimes that means showing up for you. I don't care if that's in a Mormon church. Just try not to be too upset with me when I can't come to an event inside the temple.
Thanks for loving me and standing by me.
3 comments:
It sounds like you've come to a good place with this, and I am glad for you!
Wait, you are still the same? But you were SO different on your last visit... oh, some people. I still think you are awesome. I do think the next time you are in town, Patti needs to come down (I wish we could get Suzanne too) and we need to do mud masks and crimp our hair. THEN, and only then, will I believe you are the same cool cousin of mine =)
I love you lots. I know you are still you, but I also want to love and respect you the best way I can. Thanks for helping me do that. It was fantastic seeing you. <3
Post a Comment