Meet the newest member of our family here!

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Update Goals 2014

We're here mid-way through the year, and I decided it's a good time to review my progress on my 2014 goals.

1) It's happening! I passed both my licensing exams, the second one just last week. I have sent my check to the state board for my license fee and am waiting for them to process the paperwork and issue the license. I have done all I needed to do here and will soon put a giant checkmark next to this goal. I am so, so happy about this. It's been a long and hard road. I feel very accomplished. I will now be able to practice on my own if I want to, don't need to have all my documentation signed by a supervisor, have more employment opportunities available to me, and can be paid more. As long as I take continuing education and pay my renewal fees, I will never have to take those exams or do more formal education. Hooray!

2) This goal is going most excellently. I have read at least one book per month. Here's the rundown with a short review of each:

One Day, David Nichols. This was just a fun read. It was made into a movie a few years ago. It's a RomCom, telling the story of this couple/friendship by reviewing the events of the same date every year. Nothing spectacular but a fun read.

Dance of the Dissident Daughter, Sue Monk Kidd. Incredible. This was the most important book I've read in a few years. Kidd writes about her feminist awakening, conflict with her faith (not Mormon, by the way), exploring the feminine divine, and coming to a place of peace within herself and her faith community. At times it was too difficult to read; I'd have to put it down for a few weeks before I could come back to it. This book was tremendously useful in helping me conceptualize my own journey, find a language to describe what I was experiencing, and having hope that it will get better, there will be peace. I highly recommend this one.

Unaccustomed Earth, Jhumpa Lahiri. Fantastic. Lahiri is one of my favorite contemporary authors. The first portion is a collection of short stories while the second half is more of a novella. Her writing is soulful and descriptive. I have read some of her other works, and this one did not disappoint.

Gone Girl, Gillian Flynn. I liked this book. It drew me in with all the drama and kept me guessing throughout. There were some holes here and there, but overall it was a great read. This was especially fun to read at the same time as a friend. We were passing each other at work saying, "what? Did you read the part where  . . . ?"

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt, Beth Hoffman. This was another fun read. A quick story about a girl with a tragic upbringing who is adopted by an aunt in Georgia and surrounded there by loving women who help her heal and grow into herself. Fun and heartwarming.

I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou. It was interesting to read this right after CeeCee for a completely different view of southern life. Angelou's writing is engaging and her story captivating. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. The characters felt like real people and not caricatures, which I greatly appreciated. I left it wanting to know what happened next, to find the next autobiographical work and know where we went from here.

Testimony, Anita Shreve. This was another page-turner kind of book. It's about a sex scandal that happens at a private boarding school. Each chapter is written from the perspective of another character, some characters contribute several chapters but some only one. The style changes from first person, to second person, to third person, to journal writing, and back. Part of what made it interesting was piecing together bits of the story yourself as the characters narrated their perspectives. 

3) Eh. Not going as well as I'd hoped. I think with the stress of studying for the exam, finding time to write got pushed lower on the priority list. In the few days since I finished the exam, I've found myself mentally composing all kinds of blog posts. Expect more from me soon. If I don't actually get to write one post per week, I think I can average one per week for the year.

4) I'm still at my same job. I'll be out by the end of the year, for maternity leave if for no other reason. It's looking hopeful that I may be able to leave my full-time position there anyway. I've got a post brewing about what I've learned this last year that may be interesting, at least for me.

No comments: