I don't really know where to start with this one. I don't have the words.
A friend directed me to this story from the Deseret News. Next week, President Obama is planning a live broadcast for America's school children. According to the White House website, "the President will talk directly to students across the country on the importance of taking responsibility for their education, challenging them to set goals and do everything they can to succeed." (The English major in me has a hard time with that sentence. Come on, White House, did no one edit?)
Apparently some parents are upset about this and another video encouraging community service shown in a Utah school last week. They are planning on taking their kids out of school so that they don't have to see the video.
Really, people? Really? In the news story, parents are saying they'll do something useful during that time like read the constitution and are wondering what President Obama's motive is. He's the President! The President of the United States! How is it at all suspicious that he's sending a message to kids to do well in school and strive to succeed? I just don't see the harm in it.
It's these kinds of things that make me embarrassed for our state. We're really not all like this. Most of us are fairly normal people, good citizens, and all that. It's just that these are the people that make the news and make the rest of us look bad. If anything, what they've accomplished with this protest is to draw more attention to the broadcast. You better believe I'll be watching it now; I want to see what the fuss is all about.
8 comments:
Well said, Becca.
"According to the U.S. Department of Education's Web site, Obama will speak directly to the nation's students on "persisting and succeeding in school." He will "challenge students to work hard, set educational goals and take responsibility for their learning.""
Work hard? Set goals? Take responsibility for learning?
Have fun protesting that America, select Utah demographic. An America with ideals.
As for me, I hope my kids grow up in a world filled with even just one of those ideals still intact.
I heard on the radio this morning about the local principal who had to issue an apology because he showed the "I Pledge" video for his student body. AAAHHHGGG!!!!! I'm so glad you blogged about it because I was planning to blog the same thing you did.
Thanks you for speaking my mind today as well.
Becca, I'm so sorry.
But it's much, much worse than even we imagined. There's no longer hope.
See for yourself:
http://robpattinson.blogspot.com/2009/08/creepiest-merchandise-ever-edward.html
I think it's weird that if the "I Pledge" video is bugging everyone, why they are only JUST freaking about it... it's been out fo a while now. I saw that thing MONTHS ago. Meh. People can be weird... that's for sure!
So that wasn't April... that was me. UG!
This made me so angry! Seriously? We really don't want our children to listen to the President? I happend to know many of those same parents made sure they let their kids watch Obama's speech when he was made president.
People are ridiculous.
I'll get political here. to be honest, I see good points from both sides of the argument. I have no problem with the content of the speech, and I feel like the younger kids wouldn't even understand the controversy around it (that a man who is allegedly of questionable character is delivering it)-seriously, what kid is going to understand that they can't watch a presidential speech b/c mom and dad don't agree with other issues that the president agrees with? But I also see how it's hard for some to accept information from someone who disagrees with them on some SERIOUS fundamental issues, including what they perceive as indications of socialism.
all that aside-I think the kids could take or leave the speech. the kids who would actually really pay attention are ones who are most likely already getting that message at home, and the kids who really need to hear it will most likely tune him out.
the end.
Post a Comment