Meet the newest member of our family here!

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

On our recent move and other updates

I haven't been on my blog much in the past few months.  Mostly that's because I've been writing many research papers and reading these:

My textbooks for fall quarter

Also, I was pouting.  I put up a poll a few months ago asking what posts people wanted to read.  The most votes went to the one I thought would be the most boring (this one!).  I was hoping people would choose things I thought were more interesting, and when they didn't, I decided I just wouldn't write about anything.  I'm done pouting but not with ALL things childish.  Check out my fish tank!  If you click on it, you can feed the fishes.  :D I'm taking my last final this evening, so I've got a little time and energy to spend updating the blog.

Our move went very smoothly.  We had great help and incurred only minor damage to one piece of furniture.  Despite my many moves, I did not like the feeling of being transient for a few days.  Watching my dad and brother drive away in a truck that held all our earthly possessions was surreal.  The sale of the condo went through perfectly.  Thankfully, the buyer didn't ask us to make a single repair, not even to replace the 14 yr old water heater or the broken handle on the storage closet!  Our new apartment was sparkling clean when we moved in (I wasn't expecting that), and they even replaced the carpet after the previous tenant.  We were blessed.  Here's Blake relaxing after finally getting settled in.


Since we've moved in, we've had all our immediate family come visit--parents, brothers, sisters-in-law, nieces and nephew.  They must really love us!  We put mints on the pillows, as promised.  (I'll put them out for you too, when you come.  wink wink)  Our Disneyland passes really came in handy, too, as many of our visitors wanted to visit the happiest place on earth.  I went four times in three weeks! 


We spent an awesome Halloween with my cousins in Redlands.  The neighborhood was so festive.  Blake said, "If Halloween weren't already my favorite holiday, being here would definitely make it my favorite holiday."


One thing I love about our apartment is the kitchen.  It's twice as big as the kitchen in our condo.  (I also love the pool and fitness center on site.)  


Having a decent sized kitchen came in handy for the Thanksgiving dinner we hosted.  My mom and Ben came down from Utah and we had Uncle Lou and Aunt Christine with us as well.  It was perfect!


It was our first time hosting Thanksgiving, and went off quite well, if I do say so myself.  Allow me to boast for just a moment.  (I do love cooking so much!)  There was a cheese fondue appetizer with broccoli, pumpernickel pretzel sticks, and blue corn chili lime crackers.  We had a green salad, fresh green beans, garlic mashed potatoes, cranberry cornbread stuffing, delicious gravy (Thanks, Mom), and of course, the turkey.  We experimented with a high heat/frequent turning method that got the skin crispy and kept the breast moist.  We stuffed the bird with onion, apple, lemon, raisins, and cinnamon sticks and then roasted sweet potatoes in the same pan.  The turkey didn't need cranberry sauce or gravy; it was just good.

 
 
There was also homemade pumpkin pie (not pictured).  Mmm, pie.  We put the turkey carcass in a pot that same day and made a good turkey stock.  Then, we put plastic bags into mugs, poured a cup of broth into each, and froze them.  Once they froze solid, we removed the mugs from the freezer and now have pre-measured homemade stock ready for use in future recipes.  I'm so proud of us!

Ok, the tooting of my own horn is over.  We're excited to spend a week in Utah for Christmas.  Our schedule is rapidly filling up with family dinners and lunches with friends.  It's going to be great!  No snow and sunny afternoons didn't quite feel like Christmas for my cute husband, so we've been doing things to get us in the Christmas spirit, like decorating our house, listening to Christmas carols, drinking hot cocoa, and taking surprise stockings of goodies to the missionaries serving in our ward.

Speaking of the ward, we're serving in the nursery and loving it!  I adore the little kids.  Blake is so good with them.  I'll be playing with one kid at a time and look over and see Blake with five or six reading a story or something.  One little girl really likes him and notices if he leaves the room.  The first time she asked me where my daddy had gone.  She's learned his name since then, but I suspect she still thinks he's my dad.

Final updates: Blake got a job working with a logistics management company in Ontario.  He designs the user interfaces for the web applications they develop.  I got an offer this morning to work at the Marriage and Family Therapy clinic associated with the University.  I am very excited.  I'll get great experience and supervision there. I'll also get a small paycheck, which is significant considering many placements for trainees are strictly volunteer. 


Whew!  Update done.

3 comments:

LyndiLou said...

Can I leave you a long comment?!? You know I talk a lot... sooo it's allowed, right?!? ;)

I'm sorry about your poll. I don't think I saw it. If you put it back up I will vote for whichever put will make you the VERY happiest! ;) I did, in the mean time, feed your fish. A lot actually. They probably won't be hungry for a while! ;)

I'm glad you and Blake and all your stuff are together and safe and happy. The world is right again.

Good job on all of your hostessing. I think it would be so fun to visit... mints or not! I miss you!

Pumpernickel pretzel sticks, eh?!? Hmmm... I'm POSITIVE I've never heard of that but I bet my Mom would adore them! I'll have to do more research! Your whole Thanksgiving dinner sounded/looked beautifully delicious! Way to go man!!!

NURSERY!!! That's awesome! Nate and I had that calling when we first got married, and again when we moved into this ward... and we loved it! I bet you guys are awesome little teachers! Isn't it fun having a calling together! I just loved it!

SOOO happy to hear about both of your jobs!!! Ontario... Canada?!? Am I retarded or just confused?!? :) I'm probably both. Well... I'm happy he has a job and I think it's SOOO great that you've found one too! YAHOO for you!!!

Now that you're sad that I ever found your blog... just know I love you and think about you lots and hope and wish and pray for the very very best for you always! I'm excited to see you! Love you lots!

David said...

1. I know for a fact that I voted for random and odd and wonderful things not like as moving update. Bah.

2. I want your Utah sched in the hopes that we can cross paths? Maybes yes? I am awesome...

3. I <3 u crazy.

Star said...

Wow! What a fun update on your life. I am very proud of you for hosting a Thanksgiving dinner. Although I am old now it still feels like that's a grown up job. And I as an old kidlet am not ready for it. :) I am going to have to come out and visit sometime. I just don't know when.