Meet the newest member of our family here!

Sunday, September 7, 2014

On the hazards of being a therapist: Becoming introverted

Several years ago I took a class on personality theory. One of the sections talked about research on being introverted v. extroverted. The hypothesis was something like this: we all have need for social interaction and human connection; it seems to take more interaction and connection for extroverts to reach satisfaction than introverts. Once we reach our optimal level of interaction, more can feel overwhelming, taxing, and anxiety provoking. We pull away and need time alone.

If interaction and connection were beverages, an introverted person might desire and be satisfied by a small cup of tea while an extroverted person needs a 5-gallon cooler of gatorade before they feel satisfied. Or, if we skew it the other way, an extroverted person wants a nice tall glass of water, while an introverted person only needs a thimble's worth. The same amount of interaction doesn't work for everyone.

I naturally sway toward the extroverted side. I like being around people and having lots of friends. I tend to be a more-the-merrier kind of person. Having a job where I interact with and connect with people all day long suits me pretty well. Most of the time, I feel energized by my work--my work with the people that is, paperwork is an entirely different story, though I'm good at that too.

The downside is that I'm not near as friendly outside of work as I used to be. My social interaction and human connection water glass is filled or nearly filled at work. Sometimes the effort required to get together or keep in touch with friends seems too much. I find myself wanting a lot more time alone. I was noticing just yesterday when a friend was over that I didn't have too much to say. I was pretty content to let him and Blake talk while I just observed.

To my friends and family: I'm sorry. I miss you. I still care about you. If you invite me to things or contact me, I will come or respond. Sometimes I just don't have it in me to initiate. My maternity leave is starting soon, though. Give me a few days 'alone,' and I'm sure I'll be reaching out. :)


No comments: