Meet the newest member of our family here!

Monday, September 22, 2014

On the hazards of being a therapist: Noticing things

When you learn something or learn to see something, you can't just unlearn it or unsee it at your convenience. I'm sure members of my family in the film industry notice things about films I never would, even when watching for pleasure. If given the assignment to critique a work of design/marketing, Blake could do a thoughtful and thorough job; I've seen him do it. I've also seen that he notices little design errors, interesting font choices, photoshop flaws, etc. even when he's not trying to.

I notice relationship things. I notice patterns of interacting. I don't try to; I just do. This doesn't mean I spend my time analyzing or criticizing or "therapizing" the people around me. That would be exhausting. I like being able to leave work at work just as much as anyone else. I say noticing these things is a hazard of being a therapist, because it's so personal. It's way more personal for me to notice that one spouse routinely ignores the other than for Blake to notice that there is no organizational hierarchy in the flyer you made. I fear it makes me intimidating to other people and/or difficult to be with.

I can assure you that if I notice things about you, that's as far as it ever goes. I just notice. I rarely share my observations; there's no point. I don't think less of you. I just notice. I can't help it.

No comments: