Meet the newest member of our family here!

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

On Blogging

I love reading writing about writing. Writing is a way of thinking, and, I contend, all great thinkers are of necessity writers. Undoubtedly, many great thoughts have been thought that we don't know about because the thinker never wrote them down. Perhaps, then, I should amend my previous statement: great thinkers who know how to write are remembered and therefore influential. Evidence: Plato, Aristotle, Shakespeare, John Locke, Abraham Lincoln, Mark Twain, The Becca. (See! Writing really is a way of thinking. As I wrote about writing I changed my thoughts about the relationship between thinking and writing.) One of my favorite statements about writing and thinking is this: I don't know what I think until I read what I wrote.

Another writer who writes about writing suggests that no one writes just because. All people, even journalers, she suggests write to be read. We write for an audience. We want to be read. And so we blog. Since leaving school and the abundance of writing I did there, I have craved an audience. (I don't really need to be the center of attention all the time. You know what I mean, a writing audience.) I no longer have a collection of professors as a willing (and sometimes quite demanding) audience. Thus, I am trying to become a blogger.

2 comments:

David said...

*enters new audience*

BECCCCCCCCCCA! HI!

I'm a writer too! We need to be friends! Oh wait... we already are! :P

LyndiLou said...

:) YAY!!! I'm sooo glad that you write! I like having this new way to know what you're thinking!