On November 30 I had this great idea to do an advent calendar of activities for December. I was able to pull it together that night and we had a better December. Each little stocking in our advent calendar had a special activity for the day. I planned it out on a calendar before I put the activities in the stockings. I started with things we were going to do anyway--a friend's wedding, the victorian Christmas party, going to Utah--then added in some extras--visiting a new park, baking--and finished off with a few gimmies--read a Christmas book, learn a Christmas song.
We had fewer meltdowns and tantrums this month. This is likely a combination of having something for her to do and getting accustomed to the new baby. It was also good for me. I do better when I stay busy. Having regularly planned things to do kept me getting showered every day and getting out of the house almost every day. And, I've got to think happy mom = happy kids.
It's just not realistic to keep an advent calendar style activity schedule going every month all year long, but I'm taking the basic principles with me into January. I'll make sure we have a few things to do every week that get us out of the house. So far, we're looking into art classes at the museum downtown and dance classes. (Thanks, Grandparents!) We'll also get zoo memberships again, so maybe once a month we can fit in a zoo or safari park day.
No comments:
Post a Comment