Meet the newest member of our family here!

Thursday, December 11, 2014

You Knew What I Was When You Picked Me Up

There was a story, maybe even a video, from seminary about a snake that asks to be picked up and carried down a mountain (or something). The snake is very convincing and the person picks it up and carries it. When the person puts it down the snake bites him/her. The person is upset about being bitten after having done a nice thing for the snake. The snake says, "you knew what I was when you picked me up."

Some of my friends turned this into a catchy tune. I'll sing it for you:


Pretty awesome, no?

I chose one of my coworkers to cover for me while I've been on maternity leave. I'd given some honest and helpful advice to this person before to help him get ahead at the company. I told him I thought the experience of covering my job while I was gone would be good for him in that way. He's a pretty stereotypical male from a patriarchal culture. I had to fight pretty hard with our boss to get his pay/hours worked out to be advantageous for him while I was gone. I hadn't been gone on leave a whole week before my coworker was in our boss' office asking for my job. He brazenly told another coworker (who is my friend and then told me) that he was planning to work real hard for a month and then go in and ask for my job again.

First off, he's stupid to have told my friend. Second, does he not know that they legally can't do that to me? Third, I went out on a limb for him and he stabbed me in the back. There's a part of me that wants to be really angry with him but then I think, well, I knew what he was when I picked him up. You can't really be mad at the snake for being a snake.

"You knew what I was when you picked me up, you knew what I was when you picked me up, you knew what I was when you picked me up and then I bit your face!"

No comments: